VACATION READS (12/27/2013)





I just returned from the Caribbean and am slowly getting accustomed to snow and 10 degree temps.

Flying to St Maarten, I was distracted by the film, Blue Jasmine which Jet Blue was featuring. I'm a Woody Allen fan so reading was put on hold...and what a film!  Loved it...

So back to reading..... Wally Lamb's book, WE ARE WATER held my interest until arrival...fabulous..disturbing ...but the best book I've read in a long time.

Once settled by the pool, I picked up THE LOWLAND by Jhumpa Lahiri..slow moving at first, but then totally mesmerizing..another good one..

A few days later, DIRTY LOVE by Andre Dubus, which I have yet to complete. Interwoven short stories..all about disillusioned people in love and out...complicated characters..complicated situations..another good read. I plan to revisit it.

After all the angst, loss and dysfunction in the aforementioned books, I craved something light and predictable..Hello, John Grisham!

My son was reading SYCAMORE ROW and gave it a thumbs up...and so I was in..and really into it in five minutes. Entertaining and zesty, so typically Grisham...Just the prescription I needed. (I like dysfunctional storylines, but how much can one person tolerate?!)

So there it is, vacation reads..a good recipe for distraction and R and R.  I'm now ready for some fantasy and THE FIRST PHONE CALL FROM HEAVEN by Mitch Alboum's is next on my list or maybe it's time to return to DIRTY LOVE.... 

Definitely ready to return to St Maarten!



These books are included on the blog. Enter the title in the SEARCH BOX at the top of the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment