MARY, MARY..VERY CONTRARY (12/30/2012)

A friend on Goodreads recently posted a review of THE TESTAMENT OF MARY by Colm Toibin. This book is far removed from his previous bestseller, BROOKLYN but I thought the heartfelt comments (almost poetic) and praise were definetly worth sharing..



The Testament of Mary by Colm Tóibín
Reviewed by BA on Goodreads 

I've had to sit quietly for a bit having finished this slim, devastating volume. I am profoundly moved by Toibin's emotional range; his great sensibility and compassion; and his mastery of historical time and place; at at his magical prowess in placing both real and imagined characters into a context so pure.

Whether Henry James in "The Master"; a young Irish immigrant in "Brooklyn", or Mary, mother of Jesus, in this piece of confessional fiction, his writing and his empathy leave me in utter awe.

So slender it could be a missal or a volume of poetry, this is a piece so searing, so honest, and so heart-breaking that I think I shall carry it everywhere for the rest of my life.


For More Information: Http://www.colmtoibin.com

THE TESTAMENT OF MARY by Colm Toibin is available on Amazon.
Use the Amazon Searchbox in the Sidebar.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment