INDECISION IS FOR THE BIRDS (06/12/2013)


   

I can't decide what to read next. My book group selected When Women Were Birds by Terry Tempest Williams... or should I succumb to two intriguing reads reviewed in the New York Times this week?





The  SundayTimes reviewed The Slippage by Ben Greenman and it really appealed to me.

Here's a blurb:
William's slippage begins when he sleeps with a married woman and punches his boss in the nose.

The reviewer calls the prose "fluid and commanding" and "The Slippage lands in John Cheever territory." Very enticing, indeed!

Read the New York Times Review:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/09/books/review/the-slippage-by-ben-greenman.html?ref=books&_r=0


A second review that caught my attention was A Dual Inheritance by Joanna Hershon. I loved Rules of Civility by Amor Towles and reviewers are drawing a comparison.

A Duel Inheritance is a huge sweeping novel with the characters followed through decades starting at Harvard and moving towards Wall Street and lots in between.

Joanna Hershon is the author of several well received novels including the best seller A German Bride.

It sounds like an engrossing summer read..If you love size and substance this is a good choice.

Here's more information:
http://www.joannahershon.com/a-dual-inheritance/


Reality has kicked in and I'll start the book group selection before I get into anything else. I'll try to sound reasonably intelligent at the meeting and not just focus on the food! 

When Women Were Birds is a kind of memoir, unusual format and beautifully told. The author Terry Tempest Williams wrote this book at age 54, the age her mother was when she died. It was prompted by a single statement: "I'm leaving you my journals- but don't read them until after I'm gone"

Enter the title in the Search Box at the top of the blog and you'll be directed to more info about When Women Were Birds.

Or click on the link below:

http://www.themillions.com/2013/03/staff-pick-terry-tempest-williamss-when-women-were-birds.html


No comments:

Post a Comment