BLOG READERS SPEAK (AUGUST 2015)

 
Often blog readers send me opinions about books and I welcome the comments. 

Susan G. Of Cape Cod had high praise for Ken Haruf's final novel, OUR SOULS IN THE NIGHT.  Below find a recent review..


OUR SOULS IN THE NIGHT by Kent Haruf

I don’t think there’s a false word in Kent Haruf’s final novel, Our Souls in the Night. Nor, for all the colloquial ease and transparency of the prose and the apparent simplicity of the story, is there a glib word, or a predictable one.

Ordinarily the circumstances of the writing of a novel aren’t of much interest to me as a reader, but in this case, I am moved, even awed, to consider that the book was written while the author was dying. It is a report from the edge of darkness, made in the consciousness of responsibility. Haruf is bearing witness. Having gone farther than we have, he wants to tell us what matters there. His knowledge of his situation, and my knowledge of it as I read the book, made me appreciate the rare privilege of being with a person who is past the need to say anything but what needs to be said.


BARBARA A. is a blog reader from Boston. This scathing review was also posted on Goodreads.com.


20525628. uy113
HOW TO BUILD A GIRL
by Caitlin Moran
Please save the $17.95, or whatever this horrid book costs, and buy your granddaughter a LEGO set. Together, you can build something far more valuable than this piece of scatological drivel. 
I only finished it so that I could honestly write a review. It's disgusting.


Watch for upcoming Fall releases
Order books directly from this blog.
Click on the Amazon Search Box in the Sidebar.

No comments:

Post a Comment