OVERRATED BOOKS OF 2011

Book editors and critics are posting Best Books of 2011!  For a change of
pace, here's a list of titles that I thought were overrated and disappointing. Keep in mind, it's my opinion and some of my followers' opinions
 
Have fun disagreeing with me!!  (Or agreeing!) 

OVERRATED AND DISAPPOINTING - FICTION 
  
   1.   THE ART OF FIELDING by  Chad Harbach 
   
   2.   THE LEFTOVERS by Tom Perotta
   
    3.    A VISIT FROM THE GOON SQUAD by Jennifer Egan
    
   4.   THIS BEAUTIFUL LIFE by  Helen Shulman

NON-FICTION - COMMENTS BY REVIEWER GHS 
 
1. CLEOPATRA by Stacy Schiff-    Overloaded backstabbing  and endless   characters

 2. THE PROMISE by Jonathan Alter-    Love this author and the subject, but much too detailed. Needed a good editor!

COMMENTS FROM BLOG READERS
       
Joyce's Choices contains short descriptions of books along with some

commentary. You may not agree with the choices or opinions but you're welcome to post your comments (especially if you disagree!)
I'm just a click away!


 ANONYMOUS .....  Joyce, I like baseball but could not get into The Art of Fielding. The Leftovers was a big disappointment because Perotta is one of my favorite writers. I really like your opinions and have found the blog very helpful in selecting books.

P. ONSLOW ....  Thanks for the "overrated reviews". It’s a big help. I was thinking of
reading a few of those books and the review is a time saver. 
  
CFW....Thank you.  I have made out my list.  Your summaries are welcomed and appreciated 

Bookluva....I didn't agree with your opinion of The Marriage Plot.  I liked it although it was nowhere near as good as Middlesex.  Overall I think your comments are right on target.
   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment